Jana Lohde was born in 1994 and raised in Lithuania by a German father and a Russian mother.Her parents mainly influenced her worldview, giving her a deep understanding of different languages and cultures, along with the possibility to travel and express freely her artistic inclination.Since the age of four, she revealed a precocious talent for drawing and painting. She went to the Adomas Brakas Art School (Lithuania) at the age of nine, where she studied for five years. She then started to use photography as a medium to convey her artistic world. When she was sixteen, she moved to US and spent one year studying arts (clay sculpture, design, painting, design technology, fashion design). Deeply influenced by this experience, she matured her own photographic style, showing in her works themes related to her complex identity.In 2012, she moved to London on her own and started studying photography. Currently she is completing her MA in Photography at the Royal College of Arts. In her works we come across the universal themes of life and death, which are recurring motifs, often enhanced by the use of symbolic visual elements.She creates parallel realities, expressing her refusal of the humanly possible, escaping into impossible worlds.
- 2016 Shortlisted for the second round selection at the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition
- 2016 Shortlisted for the second round selection for the Bloomberg New Contemporaries Award
- 2014 Commended in the Portraits Category in the Youth Competition of the Sony World Photography Awards 2014
- 2014 International competition “Young Man in the 21st Century”: Won third place.
- 2012 US competition “Winterfest Photo Contest”: won third place.
- 2012 International competition “Stop Frame”: Won first place by presenting a stop motion film.
- 2012 International competition “Young Man in the 21st Century”: Won first place.
- 2012 National competition “Tanz auf den Wellen”: Won first place with a creative installation.
- 2011 International competition “Young Man in the 21st Century”: Won third place.
- 2011 National competition “The wounds of our Earth”: Won first place.
-2016 Window displays in Uniqlo flagship stores across London as part of 'What is the Future of Art' a collaboration with Tate Modern
-2016 Work was digitally displayed at Tate Modern through an installation of TV screens in the Turbine Hall for the 'Future Late' event
-2016 Work was displayed as part of RCA Secret London in Gulbenkian galleries
-2016 Work was displayed as part of RCA Secret Dubai in Mina A’slam Al Sufouh Road, Umm Suqeim Dubai, UAE
-2015 WIP Show at the Royal College of Art London
-2015 The Free Range Show at the Truman Brewery London
-2014 Digital display at the Somerset house in London as part of the Sony World Photography Awards
-2014 Work was digitally displayed during the Night Contact 2014 festival as part of Brighton Photo Biennial
-2014 The Free Range Show at the Truman Brewery London
-2013 Stay Hungry group exhibition at the Hoxton Arches Gallery London
-2013 Work was shown throughout various locations in East London as part of the Artwalk Festival
-2012 'Kiti 3' (Other 3) exhibition at the Klaipeda Photographer's Gallery in Lithuania
-2012 work was exhibited as part of the “Winterfest Photo Contest” at the Tri-Cities Historical Museum Akeley Building Grand Haven, USA
-2010 'Polekis' exhibition at the Klaipeda Photographer's Gallery in Lithuania
-2015-2017 Royal College of Art, London, UK (MA Photography)
-2012-2015 University of Westminster, London, UK. (BA in Photographic Arts )
-2011 Kendall College of Art and Design of Ferris Sate University, Grand Rapids, MI, United Sates. (Fashion Design from New York and Milan)
-2011-2012 Mona Shores High School, Muskegon, MI, United States. (Painting, Design Tech, American History, Fitness, English, Photography, Clay Sculpture, English, Algebra, Government)
-2004-2008 Amomas Brakas Art School, Lithuania. (Drawing, Graphics, Atelier of colour, Composition, Sculpture, Art History, Designed Activity.)
-2001-2011 Herman Zuderman Gymnasium, Lithuania.